In collaboration with the Lands Department, the
Housing Department and the Housing Authority, Mid-Dlam ghad-Dawl
has embarked on this project to offer the possibility of a small
temporary residence to prisoners completing their term of sentence
and leaving the prisons without any place to live.
TERMS OF REFERENCE
The temporary shelter is available to prisoners
- Have absolutely no other possibility of a temporary residence
available in Malta;
- Have already filed an application for alternative residence
with the Housing Department; and
- Are ready to abide strictly with the conditions imposed by
The service functions under criteria that include
- The service is only accessible to ex-prisoners who have just
left the prisons;
- No person, under no title or circumstance, has the prerogative
right to the service;
- No person who had previously been given temporary shelter by
Mid-Dlam ghad-Dawl acquires a right or prerogative to make use
of the service once more in the present or future;
- Every person who had been ousted by Mid-Dlam ghad-Dawl from
any of its temporary shelters for disciplinary reasons permanently
looses the right to make further use of the service;
- Only the Steering Committee of Mid-Dlam ghad-Dawl has the
right of choosing which particular temporary shelter is offered
to a prospective resident;
- When Mid-Dlam ghad-Dawl decides on offering a temporary shelter
to someone it notifies the police station in charge of the district;
- Prior to accepting an offer for a temporary
accommodation in any shelter of Mid-Dlam ghad-Dawl the person
concerned has to accept formally all the conditions imposed by
Mid-Dlam ghad-Dawl; and
- Preference shall be given to ex-prisoners from Cospicua.
The conditions for a temporary shelter include the following:
- A resident is allowed to use a temporary shelter for not more
than six months from the date of entry, during which time s/he
is expected to find another accommodation in which to live.
- Every couples of months the resident has a meeting with an
official of Mid-Dlam ghad-Dawl to review his/her accommodation
- A resident who, upon the expiring of the six months from the
day of entry, fails or refuses to leave the temporary shelter
is ousted by force with the help of the police.
- The resident is allowed to use the temporary shelter without
ever acquiring, in any way whatsoever, in the present or in the
future, any title on the same shelter.
- For sufficient reasons, Mid-Dlam ghad-Dawl retains the
right to stop giving a temporary shelter
to a person before the six months expire.
- Mid-Dlam ghad-Dawl retains the right to make inspections from
time to time, and at any hour of the day, of its temporary shelters
without prior notification.
- The resident may not annoy the neighbours of his temporary
shelter in anyway whatsoever.
- The resident may not damage the mobile or immobile property
of his temporary shelter, or change the physical structure of
the building, without being liable to pay for the damage caused.
- In the case when a resident damages the mobile or immobile
property of a temporary shelter Mid-Dlam ghad-Dawl retains the
right to take the necessary steps against him/her, including
- During his temporary shelter the resident has to adhere strictly
to all the conditions imposed by Mid-Dlam ghad-Dawl.
- Mid-Dlam ghad-Dawl has the right to oust by immediate effect,
even if necessary with police force, a resident who is caught
breaching the conditions imposed on him/her during his/her temporary
- At no moment and under no circumstance may a resident lease
or rent the temporary shelter to any other person, or use any
other means conducive to the same end.
- At no moment and under no circumstance may a resident accept
another person to live or sleep with him/her on a permanent basis
at the temporary shelter.
- At no moment and under no circumstance may a resident use his/her
temporary shelter to make some kind of business; keep therein
stolen property or property acquired illegally; or use the shelter
for an immoral purpose.
- Without prejudice for the rules stated above, a resident shall
be immediately ousted from the temporary shelter once it is established
that s/he committed anyone of the offenses that follow:
- Using drugs;
- Regularly accepting into the shelter persons who are on
- Has committed a new crime whose gravity may lead to a prison
- Without prejudice for what was stated above, a resident must
pay Mid-Dlam ghad-Dawl for the consumption of water and electricity
during his temporary shelter.
- Mid-Dlam ghad-Dawl reserves the right to issue any other rule,
apart from the ones stated above, which it sees opportune for